Both your dog and your possessions are important to you. Dogs don’t understand the value of furniture outside of a tasty chew toy. Reading this article can help in dealing with unwanted behavior.
Make sure to give your puppy plenty of toys that are okay to chew, so that he isn’t tempted to chew other things that aren’t okay to chew. Immediately replace it with one of his designated chew toys. If your puppy needs to chew because he is teething, try a frozen washcloth.
- Never tie two or more dogs in close vicinity to one another. It is just too easy for dogs in such a situation to tangle their leads together, and this can lead to serious injuries for both of them. For example, a large dog could tangle the chain with a smaller dog, wrapping the chain around the neck of the small dog, causing it to die.
How to train your dog
Repetition is what causes a dog to learn. It isn’t unusual to have to repeat a trick dozens of times before the dog understands. Keep trying, your dog will pick it up.
- When you start puppy training, come up with a verbal cue that will tell your pet they’ve followed your command. “yes” is a great bridge word between the dogs positive accomplishment and the reward they receive.
Choose a set phrase for house training your dog. When you are outside with the puppy, say the chosen phrase to keep him focused on the task he is to accomplish.
- Dog’s deserve more freedom as their training progresses. You will find your dog to be more obedient and your dog will be happier. Don’t give too much at any one time, of course, or it could take your training back a step.
Training should be completed in small spurts. Since dogs do not have a long attention span, short lessons will prevent them from getting bored. When you want to train more, give the dog a break and come back later.
How to train puppies
- When it comes to training a puppy, it is not a good idea to provide too much information and training at one time. Puppies have a very limited attention span. When doing training, make them in small short sessions and always make them positive. If you do too much the puppy will just forget what you have taught him, and remember it in a negative way, it will be harder to help him in the end.
If you desire to leash train your dog, the first thing that you must do is to use a collar on him while you’re playing with him. By making your puppy comfortable to wearing a leash, he will be more apt to keep it on.
- Socializing your dog early in life is every bit as important as obedience training. They need to become aware of how they should act around other people and dogs. They can’t learn about it otherwise. Doing this will also decrease the likelihood that the dog will respond poorly when introduced to new environments.
Does your dog consume a healthy diet? Dogs are like children in the sense that bad diets lead to them acting bratty and hyperactive. Your dog’s diet should be adapted to its species and its age so your dog is full of energy. Talk to your vet about your dog’s diet and ask for recommendations if you are not sure what kind of dog food you should buy.
- Your dog must learn the “down” command. You can use this command in emergency situations and to build on other training commands. If your dog responds promptly to the DOWN command, it will serve you well. It could save his life in potentially dangerous encounters.
Your dog should be challenged regularly. Throw “pop quizzes” occasionally to be sure he is not getting out of practice.
Use your pet’s name in a positive connotation much more frequently than you do as part of a reprimand. Your pet should be aware that his name is a good thing. You don’t want your pet to be scared to walk to you whenever you call his name.
- When training your dog never punish him; doing so will only make him be resistant to any further training. Do everything you can to cut off misbehavior before it happens, and if your dog does misbehave during training, you should show what what behavior you want to see, not punish your pet. Training is only successful if you can build a good relationship with your pet – take the time to teach your dog in a positive manner.
Consistency is king when it comes to dog training. Consistency is important; always repeat commands, tone and rewards. This is the best way to train your dog.
- Preventing offspring from your pup is a good idea when they are half a year old. Make this coincide what the starting of an obedience class. Not only does spaying or neutering make a dog a better overall pet, it makes him or her a more attentive pupil for training. Your dog will be happier and he or she will live longer.
The bottom line is that you must prevent the dog from chewing your belongings. Your dog, then, will be less likely to be injured, and you will not be as frustrated (plus you’ll save money). Use the advice in this piece and you will have what it takes to curtail excessive chewing.