Training a dog is a wonderful thing to do for both of you. Whether it’s basic obedience or advanced training, dogs must be socialized and taught how to be good canine citizens. Training is also necessary to keeping your dog happy and safe. Read this article to assist you with the training of your dog.
Always remain consistent when crate training any young pups. When letting a puppy out of a crate, you need to let them relieve themselves immediately. Over time, the puppy will learn to wait until he is in this location.
Decide on a specific command phrase for your pup during house training. Every time you take him outside, tell him “go potty,” (use whatever phrase you have chosen) and this will help him learn to focus and remember what he has gone outside to do.
- Do not have overly long training sessions. Your pet probably lacks a generous attention span, making it more likely that he will thrive on brief training sessions. If you want a long session, make sure that your dog has a break in between.
To make sure your dog’s behavior stays good, you should continue training him throughout its life. Training should not stop because he is not a puppy anymore. If you provide positive reinforcement for desirable behaviors, your dog will continue to be obedient, and when you provide your dog with consistent discipline, negative behaviors are less likely to occur.
- A good training tip is to be aware of the special grooming needs of your dog’s breed. Some dog breeds require little to no grooming, while other breeds require meticulous grooming almost every week. Grooming helps your dog stay clean and happy, reducing the chances of getting a disease.
Well trained dog breeds
Understand that your every action is teaching your dog and shaping his personality. Realize that you could very well sabotage your own training efforts with innocent activities such as rough-housing. Try to reinforce good behavior at all moments.
- One thing you should remember when you are training your pet is that you should not give in to bad things your dog does. The dog will only learn that it is the boss. For example, you should avoid offering a treat to the animal to stop it from barking.
As with most things, and this goes with puppy training as well, don’t ever give up. Constant reinforcement and praise are essential when maintaining the training your dog learned in how to behave. You always need to keep training your dog, just like you need to continue feeding it and providing it shelter.
- Your dog needs to learn what ‘down’ means. This will be particularly helpful in emergency situations. When the animal is familiar with the ‘down’ command, he can be more effectively controlled with little advance warning. This is important when others’ safety is at stake.
You need to balance out the times you call your dog’s name in a positive and negative manner. Your canine friend needs to know that his name is a good thing, as he should always feel safe coming to you when his name is called out.
- If you wish to succeed when training your dog, you should commit yourself to a particular length of time consistently. Dogs learn best from consistency and repetition. Simply being with your dog each day lends a sense of trust and consistency to your dog’s perspective of you. He’ll know you’re the boss and respect your command.
Spaying or neutering your dog is recommended at six months of age. You should have him or her spayed or neutered along with taking him or her to obedience classes. Dogs that have been fixed are more obedient and have an easier time with training. Your relationship with your pet will be far more pleasant, and the dog is sure to be more content and in better health.
- A well-fed dog who has plenty of fun play toys is less likely to dig in the trash. Avoid letting your trash build up, and don’t fill it with tantalizing scraps that might catch your dog’s attention. Don’t forget to crate dogs when leaving.
For best results, your pet should be trained with consistent application of positive reinforcement. Positive reinforcement training focuses on rewarding desired behaviors, not on punishing undesirable behaviors. Negative reinforcement does not encourage trust between you and your dog. When you praise your dog because he has done something good, he’ll be more apt to keep doing it.
Introduce new animals to one another very slowly. Before you even consider adopting a new pet, think about the one you have at home. Your new pet needs to have a temperament that matches those of your existing pets.
Use these tips to help you to train the kind of dog you want to share your life with and share with others. Having a well-trained, obedient dog eases stress. You can train your dog yourself, or find a professional to help, no matter which way you go, having a well-trained dog will offer you and your dog many happy years together.