Best way to train a pitbull
So you have finally acquired your dream pit bull puppy, and you are looking for the right way to train him. As a dog owner, you will find several techniques and philosophies to teach your pit bull so you might get confused choosing the right training methods. In this article, we shall highlight various Pit bull puppy training techniques to help you in this new endeavor. Consider the following pitbull puppy training approaches and philosophies to raise an intelligent, obedient and well-mannered pit bull dog.
Below you will learn how to train a pitbull puppy not to bite.
You will notice that pit bulls can be very aggressive dogs, but they are adorable as well. With the right training, you can make your pit bull dog your best friend and guard.
Here are the processes of training a pit bull to become a guard dog.
Pit bull puppy training
For most dogs, their training methods are common. However, in some cases, their training can depend on their bloodline as some species can be overly aggressive. Some of the most known pit bull dogs include Petersons, Gator, Carver, Colby, Boudreaux, Red Boy, Greyline, Chinaman and the Razors Edge Pit Bulls.
Other breeds such as Staffordshire Terrier, American bullboxer, blue nose pit bull and American pit bull terrier are also common.
However, the pit bull terrier is the most popular breed. The Terrier is highly versatile, athletic and powerful which makes it one of the greatest guard dogs to keep at home.
1. Obedience training
For pit bull puppies, obedience training involves instructing your dog what to do when you give specific commands, either by gesture or verbally. This teaching can start as early as two months after birth. The training involves interpreting what every command means and how you want the puppy to respond. You may start teaching basic commands like sit, stay, come and watch. Remember to give rewards like kibbles, toys, and cookies when he or she responds to commands correctly.
This type of reward is called positive training as gives several benefits.
v Your puppy will learn to obey commands from you alone and ignore commands from intruders because he trusts you.
v Your dog will accept rewards from you alone. Thus thieves won`t find a way to trick your dogs by throwing some kibbles or cookies.
Whether you bought your pit bull puppy from a renowned breeder or you acquired it from an orphanage, you will need to familiarize your family and yourself with the new family member. Your pit bull should know all members and pets you live with. You can start socialization process by taking him or her for a walk around the homestead and neighborhoods. This will enable him to get familiar with the environment and traffic noises and other disturbance in your area.
However, puppies that are younger than six or seven months of age may get stressed with such disruption. You should only start the process of socialization once your pit bull puppy has attained the age of seven months when they have a better memory.
At the age of 8 to 10 weeks, your pit bull puppy should start potty training. Introducing your puppy to a serious potty training program can be tedious, time-consuming and even frustrating at times. However, the program is a must if you want to raise a decent pit bull puppy.
Here is a step by step guide for potty training your puppy.
- Locate a spot in your yard where your puppy can go to relieve herself when she wants. Allow your puppy to familiarize himself with the spot by showing him around the place.
- Lock up your puppy to a crate or a small area, near his sleeping place where he is less likely to relieve himself. The idea is to enable him to hold back the urge to relieve himself, teaching him to gain control over these urges.
- When you see him sniffing around in the house, take him out immediately and lead him to the spot in the yard. However, note that younger puppies do not hold their urine for long so be sure to take them out after every three hours.
- When your pit bull puppy relieves himself in the designated area correctly, treat him with some cookies so that he associates this behavior with positive experience.
- Set up a doggy door that leads to the designated spot where your pit bull puppy relieves himself.
- If you find that your pit bull puppy has relieved himself in the house, avoid yelling or hitting him. Instead, correct this behavior if you find him in the act by uttering words like ‘stop’ or ‘no’ in a clear tone as you show him the way out.
- If the dog relieves itself in the house, clean up the area and deodorize it as soon as possible. Cleaning it up will discourage the puppy from using the same spot again.
- Keep rewarding your puppy`s good habits and correcting the bad ones, until he or she learns to go out alone
Best way to train a pitbull
Today, clicker training is gaining more popularity among dog owners thanks to its high effectiveness. The technique uses the principle of behavioral science-specifically operant conditioning where a clicker is used to mark a particular behavior.
This training is also a positive reinforcement method, although it can be a negative reinforcement to some extent as well.
Clicker training can help to reinforce basic obedience commands, enabling you to do it without intimidation, coercion and other harsh methods.
Pit bull dog training can be supplemented with helpful materials such as videos, training handbooks and tutorials. You should ensure your puppy attends at least a basic obedience lesson to help him socialize and learn how to react to various situations.
Your dog trainer should treat your dog as an individual and offer hands-on instructions for easier learning.
You can inquire from your friends or workmates about dog training sessions around your place or check with organizations such as APDT. If you decide to train the puppy yourself, be sure to have a calm demeanor during the training as this will enable your dog to relax and have confidence in you. Try to take shorter sessions, preferably two or three fifteen minute lessons every day for adequate training.
Also, be consistent in your training and have an exercise routine for you and the dog.
The general idea is that it is good to contract a certified pit bull puppy trainer, even if you feel you are up to the task. You should realize that pit bull dogs can become very aggressive and dangerous, so you will want them evaluated before you embark on the training. It is recommended to train them when they are seven to twelve weeks old. If your puppy has passed this age, it might be problematic to train it although you can still do pitbull puppy training effectively.