Understanding dog behavior
All dogs need training, both to teach them useful behaviors and to discourage them from unwanted ones. This article is designed to get you started on dog behavior problems.
The space you share with your pet should be calm and relaxed. While playtime is valuable for every pet, dogs ought to be calm whenever you come into a room. Don’t acknowledge your dog until you decide. This will establish a controlled atmosphere.
Dogs only have the ability to focus on one thing at a time. Once your dog knows his attention command, you will be able to coerce him to ignore almost anything.
- If you house train your puppy, keep in mind that everything that goes in is eventually coming back out. In order to regulate your dog’s toileting habits, you should feed him a good quality food at the same times each day. By scheduling your feedings, you will be able to determine when you should take your dog out. This can greatly reduce the number of accidents.
If you want to be successful in house training an animal, make sure that you stick to a strict schedule for feeding times and elimination times. This gives you important forehand knowledge to prevent accidents and your dog an association of cause and effect to follow. Adhering to a schedule also helps the dog learn to wait until the proper time comes to go outside.
Dog behavior problems
Start with the easy stuff. This ensures that success comes quickly and your dog learns to love training sessions. This gives you greater results when training.
- Always make use of positive reinforcement when it comes to training your dog. If you are happy with your dog, give him pets, happy words and the occasional treat. You should never yell at your dog, or physically harm them. This just doesn’t work, and it will cause your dog to fear you. Be firm, consistent and positive for the best results in puppy training.
- To ensure your dog’s good behavior, keep up its training throughout its life. Training does not stop when your dog leaves his puppy stage. If you provide positive reinforcement for desirable behaviors, your dog will continue to be obedient, and when you provide your dog with consistent discipline, negative behaviors are less likely to occur.
It is vital that the dog’s leash remain loose when you are trying to train it to walk on a leash. Dogs become excited when they are exploring a new area. Your dog might pull on their leash. Smart pet owners will make sure the pet walks on a leash with some slack to it.
- Many canine behaviors are instinctual, so provide appropriate outlets for each of your dog’s needs. Dogs need to eat well, a spacious run, and lots of toys and interesting things to occupy their time.
To keep accidents from happening in your house, learn the cues that your dog displays. Many dogs have certain behavior patterns that express a need to go the bathroom. When you know what to look for, you’ll avoid all accidents. Being in tune with your dog’s natural tendencies makes house training easier on both of you.
- Fear biting has caused the majority of dog bites. These bites occur when the dog feels threatened, insecure, or frightened. Dogs cannot be trained through force. This may have serious negative consequences, such as your dog biting you. He will forever be your loyal companion, and best friend.
Big dogs need sufficient space to stretch their tired bodies out, get comfortable and settle in for a big nap. Large, rectangular beds are readily available, or you can purchase a crib mattress. A crib mattress is practical because you can use fitted crib sheets that can be easily washed and replaced. Crib mattresses are also waterproof!
- Make sure you have your dog ‘fixed’ when he or she is about six months old. You need to do this at the same time you start obedience classes. When your dog is spayed or neutered, it is a nicer pet and is better at obedience. This will make your pet healthier and happier, and make your ownership experience happier, too.
Do not let the pressures of your day or life influence how you speak to your dog when you are training. Always keep in mind that unless your dog just did something bad right before this moment, your dealing with your pup should be only a positive and loving experience for them.
- Dogs who have separation anxiety should always also have ties with other people. A dog must have close relationships with others to help break the unhealthy relationship that it has with you.
Common dog behavior problems
Thunderstorms can cause severe fear in some dogs. If your pooch is overly afraid of thunder, talk to your vet. Some vets will prescribe mild sedatives that can be administered to your pet before that first loud clap of thunder. You should only use this method when all other behavior modifications have failed; however, this can benefit your dog when the problem is extremely severe.
Your pet will be happy and healthy if you pay a lot of attention to it. Among some of the best things for your dog are plenty of strolls in the neighborhood, chew toys and rawhide bones. Bored dogs will often turn to chewing furniture, shoes or even drywall, to amuse themselves if they are not given proper stimulation.
If your dog is a chewer they are most likely destructive and in distress. When you teach your dog that chewing is unacceptable, you are preserving your possessions. Few people realize that this may also be a true lifesaver! You should keep things they like to chew on out of their reach so you stop the issue right off the bat. You can consider spraying a pet deterrent that has a strong odor on things of value that cannot be relocated.
Without proper training, dogs can be destructive in the home. The information in this article makes it possible for you to turn that nasty, destructive dog into a model house pet.Read other useful articles on understanding dog behaviour here!